A Guide on Selecting the Perfect SQL Developer
According to a Forbes report, the data analytics professionals market is expected to surpass $346 billion by 2030. So, how does this project impact the field of specialization of SQL developers? The reason for mentioning this data is that the data analytics market is closely linked with the world of SQL development.
SQL developers are important in assisting data analysts and other experts in data-focused business reporting access information stored in database management systems. Modern technology that powers businesses facilitates modeling, prediction, and key decision-making. All this makes the role of SQL developers critical in the current scenario.
This makes it even more important for organizations that rely on business analytics to have a qualified and experienced SQL developer empowering their processes. So, what is the importance of an SQL expert for you, and how should you find the right professional? Find out in this guide.
So What Does SQL Refer To?
SQL is the abbreviation or brief form of ‘Structured Query Language’. Before more details about SQL can be elaborated, it is important to understand what Programming Languages and Relational Databases mean.
- Programming Language: Also known as code, a programming language is used for writing software applications, databases, or systems. This code allows humans to instruct technology on what to do and how to do it. It designs, creates, manages, and/or improves specific technology-based functions and features.
- Relational Databases: Relational database management systems are required for storing information or data points relevant to each other. For instance, an online retailer will store data on their customers. Each customer will have data related to their name, address, and buying history. All the additional information is related to a specific customer and gets stored in a database that is well organized.
SQL allows developers to use relational databases to store, retrieve, manage, and analyze the stored relational data.
SQL has emerged as the language-based by developers to communicate with databases such as:
Now that you understand what SQL developers do, it is time to know how to find the right SQL developer.
How to Find the Perfect SQL Developer?
SQL developers rely on their expertise to work with other professionals, such as database admins, business analysts, and other IT experts engaged in data analysis, management, and reporting. The developer’s role is to create and maintain databases for controlling and manipulating key data.
SQL developers play a crucial role in the full database lifecycle. Their duties are focused on database planning, development, and regular performance optimization.
So, when looking for the right SQL developer, it is important to look for expertise in the following areas:
- Database architecture design
- Queries writing and analysis
- Support and improve database security and performance
- Address database design-related errors
- Address database query-related errors
- Set up a dashboard for data reporting
SQL developers work closely with data analysts to comprehend important data points and trends. An SQL developer’s tasks focus on supporting business intelligence reporting.
Having the right SQL developer on your team translates into the following benefits:
- Getting important business insights
- Improving decision-making skills
- Guiding your business’ direction
All these benefits can further help contribute to an increase in revenue.
SQL Developer’s Skills
An SQL developer is an expert in Structured Query Language. They also have in-depth knowledge of relational database management. Besides these skills, SQL developers will also have knowledge of the following programming languages:
An SQL developer should also have hands-on experience working on commonly used relational databases, operational software, and cloud services.
Besides deep collaboration with data analysts, SQL developers must maintain high communication with all the stakeholders.
In addition to their technical skills, SQL developers are also required to have the following soft skills:
- Interpret data points and successfully translate the underlying meaning to the stakeholders
- Exceptional critical thinking
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in collaborative environments
- Detailed oriented
- Good at quick decision making
SQL Developers & Their Certifications
When you want to choose the right SQL developer, you should also pay attention to the certifications they hold. Certifications stand testimony to their technical skills in the field of database administration and design and data analytics.
Some of the important certifications you should look for include:
- Oracle Database SQL Certified Associate
- Microsoft Azure Fundamentals
- MySQL for Data Analytics and Business Intelligence
- MTA Database Fundamentals
- IBM Certified Database Associate
Oftentimes, SQL databases are cloud-based. This means you should give preference to SQL developers with cloud certifications.
Having the right SQL developers on your team means deeper insights. This professional is an important link in any data analytics team that plans on succeeding. With such a specialist on your team, you can access database solutions customized to your organizational goals and needs.
Besides improving organizational efficiency, having the perfect SQL developer on your team can also help identify trends, interpret data, and make better business decisions.
So, when your data analytics needs empowerment, you should search for the perfect SQL developer.